Old Trafford: Charlton nicknamed the Theater of Dreams
Old Trafford, Or what is the same, the Theater of Dreams as I would say Sir Bobby Charlton. This genuinely English field, with the benches in the audience, and the stands attached to the pitch, transmits the sensation of breathing football on all four sides. And besides that, is the home of the almighty Manchester United, since there 1909 was built.
Designed by architect Archibald Leicht, who also made many other stadiums, It was built with an initial capacity of 80.000 people. In the early years of Old Trafford, until the creation of Wembley, hosted various semifinal and final matches of the FA Cup. In fact, would be in 1939 when the attendance record would be achieved in an FA Cup semi-final between Wolves and Grimsby 76.962 viewers.
In World War II the stadium would be bombed, which would cause that until its restoration in 1949, United shared a field with its City neighbors on Maine Road. The restoration of that year 49 and the later years 60 they would give the stadium a new look, but keeping the essence of what Old Trafford was.
In 1966, the stadium of the “red devils” would host three World Cup matches 66 (all of them of group stage) and four years later a new FA CUP final. It was a brilliant time for Manchester, where such George Best shone with its own light in the city leading the team to dominate the European Cup (year 68). On the bench, Matt Busby completed his last years on the bench.
Years 80 Y 90 brought about the decrease in the number of stadium locations as a consequence of the security measures imposed, reaching a low capacity of 44.000 seating. But nevertheless, This insufficient capacity was resolved with several extensions that ended the expansion of 2001 by which the current ones were reached 68.217. This was used to organize the Champions League final 2003 between Milan and Juventus, as well as hosting numerous matches for the English national football team, as the new Wembley is under construction.
Old Trafford not only shines inside. On the outskirts of the stadium, highlights the statue of Matt Busby. The bust honors the 24 years he was in charge of the team (45 al 69) and the important role he played in rebuilding the squad with his Busby Babes after the Munich plane crash of 6 February 1958 in which eight players and fifteen passengers died. Tragedy is also remembered with a clock commemorating the sad event.