Recoveries in record time of serious injury before World
Radamel Falcao has undergone surgery this Saturday for a ruptured anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee that he suffered last Wednesday during the French Cup dispute. An extremely serious injury that calls into question his presence in the next World Cup in Brazil, Well, the doctors predict six months at least off the pitch.
One of the best center forwards in the world and flagship of Colombia, Falcao's case is just one of the many great footballers who had to undergo surgery shortly before a World Cup to recover from serious injuries. We remember the most famous cases.
– Pepe: the last player to go through a similar procedure. He 13 from December to 2009, the Portuguese player broke the cruciate ligament in his right knee at Mestalla. He arrived at the World Cup on time and despite being a substitute in the first two games, from the third he was a key piece in the Portuguese.
– Xavi: he 4 from December to 2005, the Catalan midfielder suffered a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in training with his club. The setback was not an obstacle for Xavi to arrive in Germany, although he did not 100% but with lack of rhythm, perhaps the main problem that Falcao faces.
– Francesco Totti: a full game 19 February against Empoli was going to bring a fibula tear in the left leg to “Captain”. Everything looked bad four months from now, but he recovered and played all the World Cup matches 2006, World Cup that would also win.
– Sami Khedira: A serious knee injury kept Khedira off the playground for six months in 2010 on the eve of the World Cup, to which he arrived in record time and also set a good performance. Now, in 2014 faces a movie you've already seen: a new rupture of the medial collateral ligament and the anterior cruciate ligament of the right knee suffered last November.
– Ronaldo: the great star of the World Cup 2002 and the top scorer was doubtful until the last minute due to two very serious knee injuries that were one step away from making him abandon football practice. But it arrived on time and in what way. To be world champion.
There were many others who did not arrive on time (Santi Canizares, Alfredo Di Stefano, David Beckham…) but those who did in many cases came back in full swing.